The White City: in the Art Gallery
This year it is a hundred years since the German architect Walter Gropius established the Bauhaus in Weimar, a revolutionary and influential school for artists, designers and architects. Its idea was to make beautiful, functional products available to all. The progressive school was closed by the Nazis when Hitler came to power in Germany in 1933.
In response to growing anti-Semitism, many Jewish architects fled to Palestine, which was then under British mandate. They included a large number of architects who had studied at the Bauhaus or had trained in France or Belgium in the International Style. They designed more than four thousand buildings in this distinctive style for the new city of Tel Aviv, thus introducing the principles of European modernist architecture to the Middle East. The centre of Tel Aviv, where these buildings still stand today, is known as the White City. In 2003, UNESCO added the White City to its list of World Heritage Sites.
Marcel Prins’s 2019 documentary Stad van verlangen (City of Desire, produced by René Mendel) explores the identities of the architects who immigrated to Tel Aviv in the 1930s and how they envisaged the new city. Prins investigates the extent to which their ideals still contribute to the character of the Israeli metropolis today. The film will be screened daily at 12am from 27 September to 14 December in the Auditorium, with the exception of the following days: 16 & 27 October, 2, 6, 24 & 27 November, 2 December.