Sint Oedenrode

Jews first settled in Sint Oedenrode during the second half of the eighteenth century. The new arrivals included a trader in cloth, a butcher, and a market vendor. Beginning in 1831, the Jews of Sint Oedenrode met for prayer in the home of one of their numbers. A synagogue was inaugurated in the village in 1866; a ritual bath was opened one year later.

Prentbriefkaart van de Dorpstraat in Sint Oedenrode met synagoge, ca. 1924

The main street in Sint Oedenrode with synagogue, ca. 1924

During the third quarter of the nineteenth century, the Jews of Sint Oedenrode joined with those of Schijndel to form a single community. For a time thereafter, the Sint Oedenrode synagogue was used by the Jews of both places. In 1872, the Jews at Schijndel split away to form an independent community of their own. The Sint Oedenrode community maintained a women's society and a burial society. It did not have a cemetery of its own but buried its dead at the Jewish cemetery in Schijndel.

The Jewish community at Sint Oedenrode was officially dissolved in 1941 and merged into the Jewish community at Oss. The synagogue was sold and its contents moved to Amsterdam. Only a few of the small number of Jews who remained in Sint Oedenrode on the eve of the Second World War survived the wartime genocide.

The Jewish population of Amersfoort and surroundings:

The size of the Jewish community over time