The Hollandsche Schouwburg was built as a theatre in 1892, but during the Second World War it was used by the German occupier as a deportation centre for Jews. Today, the building is a monument to the memory of those victims. In 1992, the Hollandsche Schouwburg came under the management of the JHM. At that time, the Hollandsche Schouwburg Foundation was established, and since then the mayor of Amsterdam has always served as its chairman. The monument contains a memorial wall, bearing the 6,700 family names of the 104,000 Dutch Jewish victims of the Second World War, and an educational exhibition for young people. In the coming years, the Hollandsche Schouwburg will be thoroughly renovated and expanded.
Across the street is the National Holocaust Museum. This historic site hosts temporary exhibitions and events that tell the story of the Holocaust.
Find out about events in the Hollandsche Schouwburg
Book a tour, walk or school program
Longread about the HS as a memorial place [in Dutch]
Organise your meeting or event with us